Skip to main content

Teacher! Frank Rich stole my answer...

... and didn't you hate that?

I've been trying (in my usual long-winded way) from time to time to explain why GOP bashing is not quite the Democratic answer to tea-baggers and other protesters out there these days.

Frank Rich gets it in one sentence [although I had to suffer through an article about Glenn Beck to find it]:

Many of those Americans may hate Obama, but they don’t love the Republican establishment either.


As a political observer [and not as a shill for libertarianism] I think the mood of the public is increasingly populist, while the leadership of Democrats is increasingly progressive, and what's left of the leadership of the GOP is increasingly reactionary.

Despite the fact that populists and progressives both generally share a sense of the necessity for government activism, very little else actually unites them in terms of policy prescriptions, and some of the antipathy toward Barack Obama is as much anti-intellectual as it is racist.

Comments

tom said…
And The Onion says, "BREAKING: Democrats Hoping To Take Control Of Congress From Republican Minority In 2010"
Delaware Watch said…
"while the leadership of Democrats is increasingly progressive"

I wish! You can't prove it by what is likely to come out of Congress in the way of healthcare "reform."
Dana,
I think that's my point: the Dem leadership is significantly more progressive in an ideological sense than the rank-and-file.

In a sense it's like the fact that Newt and his leadership cadre were more conservative than the rank-and-file of the first GOP freshmen of 1994.

The leaders get confused by the party identifiers into believing that everyone is following them.

True progressives--much like libertarians except that I will grant there are more of you than us--are still a distinct minority in the party that is closest to their political beliefs.

Which is why the eventual health care bill (and there will be one) will be a hollow victory for everybody except ... the insurance companies and the pharmaceutical companies.

It will still leave millions without health insurance, but it will still cost us billions we ain't got.
Delaware Watch said…
Talk about reactionary Repubs--did you see this poll about how many GOPers aren't sure that Obama was born in the USA and how many doubt that he was?

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_National_9231210.pdf

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...