Skip to main content

The Stupidity of Ethanol in a single sentence

Peg, at A Secondhand Conjecture, finds a sentence that cuts to the heart of the matter:

Every fill of the tank with ethanol uses the same amount of corn a child would eat in a year, and let’s not even talk about the amount of potable water used to grow the corn in the first place.


Sort of makes fossil fuels seem more rational, huh?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Scientific American had a brief discussion of the relative energy efficiency of celluosic stocks a few months back.

I wonder -- alot -- about the effects of corn (and other agricultural) price supports on this entire process. I suspect that withdrawing price supports for food stocks would make the problem alot more stark.
Jim Fryar said…
I have been on about this issue for some time.

It tends to be a classic issue where political correctness over rides common sense.