Let me count the ways:
The Democrats have given us:
1. A Secretary of Education with only minimal actual public education experience along with an bald-faced allegiance to a corporate reform agenda so confusing that he can't even keep his stories straight when talking to the chief school officers in a public meeting.
2. An Attorney General who announces for re-election but won't come clean about his semi-public health issues.
3. A State Treasurer who they are so upset with that they plan to primary themselves next time around.
4. A State Insurance Commissioner who is so blatantly incompetent and/or corrupt that the Democratic Party already primaried her and lost last time around.
5. A Lieutenant Governor who is a really good guy but who has abruptly disappeared over the last year when any serious issues come up so he won't be forced to be associated with them and can run (believe it or not) as some sort of "outsider."
6. A Governor who has (a) wasted tens of millions of taxpayer dollars in chasing fly-by-night "investments" in jobs; (b) allowed his various departments (DNREC and DPH to cite two examples) to operate via "secret" Attorney General opinions; (c) convened what even his pet AG had to admit was an illegal charter school task force; (d) changed the rules without authority to authorize a new hospital in Middletown despite, you know, the law; (e) could give away tens of millions of dollars in corporate welfare and millions to save casinos but couldn't figure out how to give raises to State employees (including those on Food Stamps) or to fully fund education; and (f) spend tens of millions more in creating a totally useless (from any real law enforcement perspective) "homeland security" office whose primary function seems to be collecting information on people who don't break the law and buying power boats for the State Police while people keep getting murdered in Wilmington like it was the VH1 bizarro world edition of "Survivor."
The Republicans have given us:
(Which may mean, objectively speaking, that they should be winning, but their nothing is so vacuous that it looks even worse than what the Democrats have actually done.)
So we really could use an opposition party because the Democrats are not cleaning up their own act. In fact, if anything, they are getting worse, and the Republicans just want to be sure that Transsexuals can't use what they consider the "wrong" public restroom.
But it's not going to be the IPOD (see below), and both the Greens and the Libertarians have been structurally marginalized in some of the few acts that the GOPers and Dems agree on (no fusion tickets, etc.).
So basically what this means is ... we're screwed.
And, oh yes, DSEA gave millions in campaign contributions over the past 6-8 years for nothing.