Skip to main content

SCCOR scores; Snooze Journal fails

I props to Angel Clark of SCCOR for managing to secure her group a front-page puff piece in today's WNJ; as the group's public relations director she has achieved her goal.

The WNJ, which has some talented reporters in Ginger Gibson and Rachel Kipp, however, got taken for a ride.

Here's why:

1) The reporter didn't bother to interview anybody even vaguely critical of SCCOR; we know the WNJ staff reads the blogosphere, so how could they have missed the large numbers of folks worried about the use of language [even if I disagreed with them completely, their concerns are part of the story].

2) The reporter is apparently blissfully ignorant of the Bill Colley Catholic Lord's Prayer controversy, and SCCOR's insistence on a particular Protestant version of that prayer at all their meetings. Instead, the article just mentions WGMD as fueling SCCOR without mentioning the controversy.

3) If the report was going to mention the group targeting certain politicians for defeat, or that certain politicians spoke at SCCOR meetings, then it would have seemed important to get a response from some of them. For instance, why didn't the reporter ask Pete Schwarzkopf for a response?

4) I didn't see any mention of the Victory Garden, either.

I have vehemently disagreed with others in the blogosphere who have labeled SCCOR a potentially violent group, but that argument is--or should be--part of the story.

jason asks a real question over at DL today (or last night) regarding rhetoric and responsibility for violence.

Here's part of the answer (as unpalatable as it may be to bloggers): that discussion won't really matter to 98% of Americans until it actually makes it into the MSM.

And with coverage like the SCCOR story just got, don't count on that happening for a long time.

Interesting aside: the story may be on the front page of the print edition, but you have to search to find it online. Wonder why?

Comments

Brian Shields said…
I am going to their next meeting next wednesday.

Thought I would return the favor since some of them came to our, and the speaker at the meeting asked if I was going to be there...

fun fun.
Anonymous said…
Actually, the meeting is tonight 6/16, at 7:30pm, at the American Legion post 28. Hope to see you there :) If not, the next meeting is 7/7 at the same time and place.

That being said, yes, people may have opposing viewpoints, and fairly said, they should be able to be expressed, but I thought the article was well written, and could help get more people interested in the cause of the Constitution, and isn't that what we're all really fighting for?

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...