Skip to main content

Governor Markell makes a good move: eliminating the Department of Finance

As first reported (at least the first time I saw it while traveling this week) at Delawareliberal, Governor Jack Markell has made the decision to eliminate the Department of Finance and consolidate necessary functions among other government offices.

This is a good move, a good sign, and a follow-through on a campaign promise that was badly needed to restore confidence following the ham-handed attempt at non-surgical salary cuts for all State employees.

I'm hoping that he will eventually get around to looking at the elimination of Homeland Security, folding its major functions into the State Police headquarters, but today I'm just happy to note that--unlike a lot of other politicians of both parties--Jack Markell seems to be trying to keep his commitments.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'll post this anon, but in the interest of full disclosure, I work for DSHS. I think a case could be made that having a non-State Police entity in charge of the State Police isn't necessarily a bad thing. DSP has a pretty poor track record of lawsuits, etc against them in the past and it's possible that that situation could get worse if they (DSP) have no on but the governor to answer to.
But then again, I fully expect to be working for the Dept of the Technologically Inept (DTI) by this time next year :)
Anonymous said…
oops, he "eliminated" the Finance Department but kept all the people... and promoted Nancy Cooks son.

it's all pretend. it's "change" without a difference!
Anonymous said…
"...I'm just happy to note that--unlike a lot of other politicians of both parties--Jack Markell seems to be trying to keep his commitments."

There is a punchline to this, right?
Nancy Willing said…
Interesting commentary from the trenches, so to speak. Is DTI really that bad? Because it has gotten a front row seat in the analysis process

DTI and OMB were the constants in the teams that were developed in January for the Delaware Government Performance Review process. (see pdf at DE Way)
Anonymous said…
look at Me!!!
I'm moving the deck chairs!

Hope, Change and Profiles in Courage all rolled into one!

J. Markel
Anonymous said…
"Is DTI really that bad?"

Yes, too many chiefs. But they do have a difficult job. And they have some good people working for them. Let's see what Sills brings to the table

OMB= Office of Many Boneheads

(I used to work for them too) :)
Nancy Willing said…
Chris Coons also made a big stink over how he reduced a department and then went ahead to simply place the people under another department - so Community Services now also controls Community Governing.

Can't wait to see how staffers are just shuffled under this edict.

We do know that it was Finance where two legislative nepotist hires were directly responsible for the stolen money. Lofink and Henry (who never even got a slap on the wrist did he?).

Maybe this move has as much to do with improved oversight as anything else.

It's the Delaware Way never to embarass the 'right' people. Natch. So go through the backdoor.

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...