Skip to main content

[Libertarian] Cannibals All!--An Entertaining Aussie Feed Frenzy

Sometimes there are threads that just take off in tail-chasing directions that nobody (especially not the author of the original post) anticipated. People get caught responding to increasingly tangential arguments and starting making more and more bizarre arguments, kind of like an out-of-control driver repeatedly over-steering until he slams into the retaining wall at 75 mph.

I usually chuckle at these feeding frenzies when they occur at Delawareliberal or DelawarePolitics, feeling mildly superiors (except of course when I'm directly involved; then naturally whatever I say is totally justified).

But the current triple set of threads at Thoughts on Freedom, the blog of the Australian Libertarian Society proves what a lot of people (Dana comes to mind) have said about Libertarians can't simply be discounted. Sometimes we, too, eat our own young.

It all started innocently enough: Indian Libertarian Sukrit Sabhlok posted on the same stats about prisons in America and China that both Dana and I wrote pieces on for our respective blogs. You'll note that neither Dana nor I provoked a hell of a lot of passionate debate on the topic (hell, we could barely get worked up about arguing with each other, which surely indicates a lackluster topic).

But the reactions among Australian Libertarians was fierce, prolonged (through two different posts), and often downright obscure (with my friend Jim Fryar of Real World Libertarian standing out as one of the few voices of reason), leading Sabhlok to issue a final sarcastic post declaring:

Thanks for all the helpful feedback on my previous post. I will now be reforming my blogging style in order to make it more compatible with Australian libertarians.

From now on, I shall issue the “Aussie Libertarian Disclaimer” in all of my posts that criticise America. This will involve strategically placing a footnote with the words, “But China is worse, so that makes it OK”. It has to be an Aussie disclaimer because the pseudo-libertarians in America seem to think that all countries should be judged by the same standards.

So for example, if I was to comment on a news story involving an American soldier raping an Iraqi girl, I would at the end of the sentence place the appropriate footnote: “But China is worse, so that makes it OK”.

This should make my writing more compatible with common Australian libertarian practice.


This, of course, has thus far produced 27 comments of its own.

So if you want to make fun of Libertarians and have half an hour to waste, wade through all 80 comments, have at it.

I think I'll take a nap instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...