Just thinking about this issue like Governor Markell asked everybody to do.
I haven't costed them out, but the least significant would save several millions of dollars:
1. Eliminate the Secretary of Homeland Security position and fold its security responsibilities into the State Police and its disaster responsibilities into DEMA. There is not the slightest bit of evidence that the proliferation of staffs and offices has made us one whit safer or improved interagency coordination.
2. Eliminate the DSTP. Jack promised to do this, anyway.
3. Commute the sentences of non-violent, non-dealing drug offenders, and follow up by decriminalizing at least personal marijuana use.
4. Increase the mandatory replacement age for school buses by three years.
5. Close the Delaware Psychiatric Center and pay the cost to send our patients to the comparable institutions in Pennsylvania, Maryland, or New Jersey.
6. Program EZ Pass on Rt 1 to charge vehicles registered out of state a 15% surcharge over the regular toll rates.
7. Require Delaware institutions of higher education to write off the in-state tuition costs of SEED students as a requirement for receiving State funding, instead of budgeting the money to pay their tuitions.
8. Create an incentive program for early retirement of State employees with more than 25 years of service.