She is generous: “I think that people that are homosexual should have some rights, you know, hospital rights and things like that.” How, you know, generous! Hey, some right are better than no rights. Imagine, the outcry, however, if some prominent advocate of gay marriage were to announce that Christians should have just “some rights,” but not equal rights. The martyr complex that infects many fundamentalists would go into overdrive at a remark like that. It is also outstanding that Prejeans wants “things like that” for gay people. Just don't ask her what "things like that" actually means.
Apparently Prejean doesn’t have the foggiest idea what a civil union is or what are the issues around them. She said: “I would like to be more educated on that, so when I do have a better answer for you, I will get back to you on that one.”
Asked about adoption rights she attempts to deflect the question by saying: “I am focusing on marriage right now, not adoption, not civil unions, just traditional marriage, and I’m going to do whatever it takes to promote that.”...
The more she talks. the more obvious it is that we are dealing with a walking stereotype of the brainless beauty queen. Prejean’s main problem is a severe case of bimboitis exacerbated by extreme religiousity. Perhaps her recent breast enlargement was a defense mechanism: make them large enough and no one will pay attention to what she's actually saying. I get the impression that this is one woman who, when talking, would say to men: "Excuse me! But my breasts are down here."
And CL finds this other, truly amazing anti-gay marriage comment:
It’s a shame that proponents of Gay Marriage have absolutely no understanding of why many people are opposed to it. Has it ever occurred to any of you that those of us who are against it are against it because it’s not a law that would apply strictly to Gays? Same sex marriage would be legal for the entire population.
As he says on the site: Good luck figuring that one out.
Meanwhile, Coyote finds this sentence in an all-too-usual story about a cop killing a dog:
An off-duty Essex police officer could face charges for shooting his allegedly neighbor’s dog after it tangled with his Pug, state police say.
As Coyote himself comments: “Allegedly neighbor’s dog?” Is the fact that he is a neighbor in doubt? Or is the ownership of the dog in doubt? Or is it the species of the animal that is in doubt?
Or here, in an editorial opposing legalization/decrminalization of drugs:
America will gain increased tax income if drugs are legalized, but life will change.
Consider:* Every generation will be destroyed, as with tobacco and alcohol, while illegal drugs will grow in almost every backyard and household/office flower pot.
* One illegal drug might be approved to alleviate the agony of dying people.
* Security and medical forces will collapse with rises in crime, new diseases and soaring death rates.
* We will need to advise how our guns are made, annually inspected and ownership controlled.
* Peer pressure will render pointless the teachings of parents, educators clergy and society.
* Quality of air, water, food and critical industries will be further compromised.
* Our military will be forced to function with increasingly unclear heads.
* Effectiveness of our legislatures and justice systems will diminish, as prisoners are freed.
* We might require officials, et al, to submit to random drug and alcohol tests, or face arrest and/or firing/impeachment.
* Employees might demand “druggie” breaks, along with currently allowed smoke breaks and alcohol lunches.
* All official and private vehicles should be equipped with alcohol/breath-testers and sensors, for all operations, for all occupants, for every re-start.
* All entrants to official buildings must submit to drug breath-tests/inspections, as we now do for metal/weapons, etc.
* Pharmaceutical companies and the media will profit greatly with false promises and advertising.
* Enemies will reap greater drug income and increased power from America’s further decline into drug-induced stupor and financial impotence.
* Our borders will become legally meaningless, as they are at present.
I want my druggie breaks.