Skip to main content

Here's an immediate action to help the struggling: remove taxation from bartered exchanges...

... not that I know anybody who actually pays taxes on this anyway, but it would be nice to decriminalize the process.

The NJ has a story today on how people are turning to bartered exchanges in tough times, which includes this segment:

Bartering can be less expensive than buying because there are few overhead costs for rent or staff. However, not all costs are eliminated. The IRS considers barter dollars as identical to real currency for tax reporting, and barterers must obtain a special form, the 1099-B.


Want change I can believe in?

Stop ripping off private individuals who exchange goods for which both parties have already paid.

Comments

I don't know dawg, I think this could be abused. What if I "bartered" with the grocery store to exchange 20 dollars worth of groceries with an envelope that just happened to contain 20 dollars?
LOL, City.

But something interesting....we have sold a few things on Craigs List (my husband does the work; I can't deal with it), and he has noticed that more and more people are wanting to "trade", let's say, a motorcycle for a car, or vice-versa. I think we'll see more of that.
Brian Miller said…
You'll see a LOT more of it, especially when you consider the soaring sales and income taxes at a state and local level that are passing as of late.

Only politicians could be dumb enough to pass massive tax increases in a killer recession... but people will adapt.
Anonymous said…
If the government wants to tax my barter, by damn I will insist on payin' with the economy of my goods. We barter because we are product, or service abled, and either cash shy or short. If Uncle Sam wants the tax on six dozen eggs for an oil change, just tell me where to throw them.

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...