Skip to main content

One Nation, Independent of God

Apologies in advance for any drop in the quality of writing -- this will be my first post in a couple of weeks.

I've been reviewing my religious views of late, and am leaning more towards agnostic than atheist (some readers will remember a few posts outlining ardent atheism over the past two years). But I leave my religion (or lack thereof) at the door for this post, and I request before you read further that you try to do the same.

The Pledge of Allegiance, in its original form, read:

I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

There were minor changes made in the 1920s --"my flag" was eventually changed to "the flag of the United States of America"--but in 1954, the age of McCarthyism (mind you, it was only two years later that, in an effort to further distance ourselves from "the godless communists", the national motto was made "In God We Trust"), two words were added that completely twisted the pledge: "Under God".

Ignoring the personal offense I take from President Eisenhower's statement on the matter (which says, in part, that the addition would highlight "the spiritual and moral principles which alone give dignity to man"), I see this as being extremely dangerous.

Keep in mind that the First Amendment, stating that Congress would "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", was adopted in 1791.

Keep in mind that President Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists, supporting with "sovereign reverence" the First Amendment's "wall of separation between church and state", was written in 1802.

Keep in mind that the Treaty of Tripoli, explicitly pointing out that "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion", was ratified by the Senate unanimously in 1797.

As you mull that over, tell me something. Given the 150-plus year gap between the establishment and initial clarification of secularism in our government, and the use of blatantly theistic diction in a pledge to the very symbol of our liberty, who do you think has seniority in the matter?

Glad to be back.

Comments

Bowly said…
The controversy for me is not the "under God" distraction. It's the fact that we're indoctrinating children to mindlessly recite loyalty oaths to the state. Imagine my lack of surprise when I learned it was written by a Baptist minister who lost his pulpit because of his socialist beliefs. Never mind the fact that children are not mentally developed enough to truly understand what an oath is (do we let children get married?).

While I'm on the subject, "The Star Spangled Banner" sucks as a national anthem. It's dull, and the range is an octave and a fifth--well outside the range of the average person. It's hard to believe that the melody began as a drinking song.
Anonymous said…
Bowly:

A valid point, I take much more issue with combining a pledge to state and church at the same time than simply pledging to the state. Perhaps I'm biased.

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...