Skip to main content

Comment Rescue : Dana Garrett Gets Owned by a New Commenter

Most readers know Dana Garrett is quite selective and narrow about what he presents in (trying) to argue with opponents.

His latest triumphal hogwash post (about me in this instance) is just classic.

[I guess the whole issue's settled now that Dana has himself convinced I have been "humiliated" by the remark of one commenter. Woe is me!]

Dana also quotes a new commenter here (welcome, Beto!), but leaves out the rest of Beto's comments, which are far more humiliating to Garrett than anything I faced from any commenter :

"Garrett's post is hogwash, however, simply because he does not seem to grasp simple logic very well (I'll choose to believe incompetence instead of malice as the cause for his weak reasoning). He uses a quote criticizing paternalism that says "Opponents of paternalism [...] claim that liberty supersedes safety in terms of actions that only affect oneself" (my emphasis), and goes on to claim that this basic libertarian view would justify the Neumann couple's actions, which obviously affected mostly their daughter, not themselves."

I, too would like to think it is incompetence rather than malice. Unfortunately I think Dana is intelligent enough to know better.

After Dana recently got quite nasty, calling me a "liar and demagogue", I have to believe Dana's distortions of libertarian thinking are purposeful and malicious....but not personal. Dana is a friend, and I stand by that.

However, if I thought to write posts about every instance of Dana being humiliated on his own blog, I would have to start a whole new blog just to keep up with all the content I would have to work with.

Comments

Oh don't you two get riled up again...!
Is this site on Pacific time?
Tyler Nixon said…
I think Steve had it set there, and neither of us has changed it yet.

I am not getting riled, Mike. I am just having fun.

Seriously, I don't care one way or the other. Dana only gets this way when he is losing the argument, which has been happening a lot to him these days.
Delaware Watch said…
I notice that you didn't provide a link to where I called you liar, Tyler. Why not? Is it because when people see my COMPLETE statement and IN CONTEXT you are shown to be lying, eh?

Allow me:

http://www.haloscan.com/comments/delawarewatch/9010313630866214439/
Tyler Nixon said…
Thanks for the link, Dana. Ir proves nothing.

Your statement and your accusations are garbage.

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Rescue (?) and child-related gun violence in Delaware

In my post about the idiotic over-reaction to a New Jersey 10-year-old posing with his new squirrel rifle , Dana Garrett left me this response: One waits, apparently in vain, for you to post the annual rates of children who either shoot themselves or someone else with a gun. But then you Libertarians are notoriously ambivalent to and silent about data and facts and would rather talk abstract principles and fear monger (like the government will confiscate your guns). It doesn't require any degree of subtlety to see why you are data and fact adverse. The facts indicate we have a crisis with gun violence and accidents in the USA, and Libertarians offer nothing credible to address it. Lives, even the lives of children, get sacrificed to the fetishism of liberty. That's intellectual cowardice. OK, Dana, let's talk facts. According to the Children's Defense Fund , which is itself only querying the CDCP data base, fewer than 10 children/teens were killed per year in Delaw

The Obligatory Libertarian Tax Day Post

The most disturbing factoid that I learned on Tax Day was that the average American must now spend a full twenty-four hours filling out tax forms. That's three work days. Or, think of it this way: if you had to put in two hours per night after dinner to finish your taxes, that's two weeks (with Sundays off). I saw a talking head economics professor on some Philly TV channel pontificating about how Americans procrastinate. He was laughing. The IRS guy they interviewed actually said, "Tick, tick, tick." You have to wonder if Governor Ruth Ann Minner and her cohorts put in twenty-four hours pondering whether or not to give Kraft Foods $708,000 of our State taxes while demanding that school districts return $8-10 million each?

New Warfare: I started my posts with a discussion.....

.....on Unrestricted warfare . The US Air force Institute for National Security Studies have developed a reasonable systems approach to deter non-state violent actors who they label as NSVA's. It is an exceptionally important report if we want to deter violent extremism and other potential violent actors that could threaten this nation and its security. It is THE report our political officials should be listening to to shape policy so that we do not become excessive in using force against those who do not agree with policy and dispute it with reason and normal non-violent civil disobedience. This report, should be carefully read by everyone really concerned with protecting civil liberties while deterring violent terrorism and I recommend if you are a professional you send your recommendations via e-mail at the link above so that either 1.) additional safeguards to civil liberties are included, or 2.) additional viable strategies can be used. Finally, one can only hope that politici