Skip to main content

DSU truth or dare: a correction

Normally I try to avoid direct comment on DSU because of potential conflict of interest.

But sometimes it gets to be too much.

Nancy Willing has published a recycled list of half-truths and misleading statements about DSU (combined with some serious, true charges) that has been bumping around for at least two years.

I provided a rebuttal in the comments section, to which I signed my name--unlike the anonymous individuals who continue to circulate this list without correcting the errors.

There is much to be changed at DSU, but we won't do it with people who refuse to do the simple research to verify their information.

Sorry, Nancy, I expected better.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Steve, I know that Wilmington U does a better job for the undergrad night student (or they did when I went to Wilmington a few years ago) but at one time DSU had a nice Ed Masters that allowed for quick certification.
The sad part is that the night students probably make the college more money because we are less likely to use as many resources as daytime students might.
As a one time attendee of DSU (whatever you call the one drunken semester I spent there in 1983) I do have fond memories of the place :)

When I was looking for possible master programs, I found that both UD and DSU just don't seem to get the part time student like WIlmington U does.

And as far as the russian tennis players :) That is a NCAA-wide problem of overseas satellite pros getting their college eligibility back and coming to colleges to play NCAA tennis. SI's Jon Werthium did a piece on it about a year ago

Mark H
The DW post is why blogging can never replace newspapers.

If they do, we are all doomed.
Delaware Watch said…
I got the same e-mail that was the basis for Nancy's post. It seemed obviously fishy to me, so I didn't write about it.
Anonymous said…
It was in the inbox. :-)
It was an active alum who wrote it.

My piece was about the ineffectual Allen. Surely the good professor would rather have the candidate succeed who is an actual academic in college administration?
Nancy
Just because it is in your in-box doesn't mean it's even vaguely true or worthy of publication.

As for my preferences in the Presidential interviews, I'll save my opinions for after the third candidate has actually interviewed.

Besides, my preferences in that are irrelevent to my main point: the piece you published is so erroneous in many of its criticisms that it does more harm than good to DSU to publish it, because anybody knows the person who wrote it is at best ill-informed and at worst hopelessly prejudiced.
Nancy Willing said…
I have sent this link to the author and he will hopefully respond. I take it that you will be giving your endorsement to a candidate once the vetting process is complete?
Nancy
As a faculty member I always provide my feedback to the search committee. I will do so in this case as well.

That is, however, distinct from my role as publisher of this blog or as union president.

So, no, I will not be publishing my recommendation here.

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...