Skip to main content

At least nobody thought Obama was Jewish....

I am not quite sure what to do with this set of responses from a recent Democracy Corps poll in North Carolina.

The question was about Senator Barack Obama's religion:

Do you know what Barack Obama's religion is?

(IF YES, ASK:) What religion is he
?


Here's the breakdown of the answers:

Christian - general: 41%
Muslim/Islam: 7%
Protestant: 6%
Catholic: 1%
Jewish: -
Other: 2%
Don't know: 42%
Refused: 1%


Some initial observations:

1) I'm not surprised that 7% of the people think Obama is Muslim, although I wonder if that's actually true. Part of me wonders if there are not people out there actually answering that he's Muslim to keep that particular urban legend alive.

2) I think the question was flawed. I can see someone who thinks Obama is Christian but doesn't know his denomination answering "I don't know" to this question, because of the way they would have interpreted "religion." I suspect that if people had been asked to select Obama's religion from a menu of choices, the 42% who don't know would have virtually disappeared.

3) Nobody said Obama is an atheist. I find that almost as statistically impossible as 42% having no opinion.

What intrigues me about this survey question is that it is followed by two questions regarding the importance of religion in voting decisions. Close to 60% of the respondents said that a candidate's religion was either important or very important in determining their vote, and the votes of people in their community.

Yet the survey did not ask if people knew Senator John McCain's religion.

Ask yourself, could you answer the question?

Is McCain Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, or Baptist?

So what part of a person's religion is so important to the voters?

Obviously, being identified as a Muslim, a Mormon, or an atheist is not good in terms of general electability.

The fact that people who want to slander Obama claim he is a Muslim is good evidence of the first.

Much of the reaction to Mitt Romney's campaign justifies the second.

And most polls I have seen (sorry, don't have a link right now) suggest that the American people would be more likely to vote for an openly gay candidate than an openly atheist candidate.

But what definition does the average voter put with the term Christian? When I converted to Catholicism as an adult, my sister-in-law (an Evangelical) asked me, "Why didn't you join a Christian Church instead?"

Do evangelicals see a community of interest with those Episcopalians who support the ordination of gay bishops?

Do atheists make a distinction between Catholics and Protestants in terms of supporting candidates, or do they prefer Jews in office? I don't know. I just wonder that if you are in the minority of Americans who subscribe to a completely naturalistic universe, but can only vote in the foreseeable future for presidential candidates who all believe in an entity you think is non-existent, which religious delusion would you consider the safest?

What dismays me is what we do not know about the impact of religion on American society and voting patterns, and the stereotypes that are generally accepted regarding that relationship.

I am old enough to remember the days when my Dad advised me that in polite company of strangers, one should never discuss politics or religion. (There was something to be said for that.)

Today, we discuss almost everything, but examine (in a logical, analytical sense) almost nothing.

There is no neat ending to this post, because I can't find any conclusions other than a generalized concern that maybe, just maybe, we've all tacitly agreed not to do the analysis because it is often our ignorance of our neighbors' religious beliefs that allows us to remain on good terms with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...