Skip to main content

Taking an interesting plunge: The Boston Tea Party

I've probably spent a lot more time thinking about this than it probably deserves. Or maybe not.

I believe that the national Libertarian Party is day by day proving itself a hopelessly lost cause for those of us who believe that the cause of limited government, personal liberty, and individual freedom can be furthered at the ballot box.

I have been talking for several weeks about something like a Libertarian Alliance of state parties organizing from the bottom up. But while I think it's a great idea, I keep wondering whether or not it's viable, whether or not anybody will do the necessary legwork to create it.

At least for now, I'm thinking that the Boston Tea Party represents the best vehicle currently available.

Yes, I know the BTP has a checkered organizational past, and that this could be merely another incarnation for dreamers who are not necessarily doers.

The BTP has a simple platform:

The Boston Tea Party supports reducing the size, scope and power of government at all levels and on all issues, and opposes increasing the size, scope and power of government at any level, for any purpose.


I'll be brutally honest: the simplicity and absolutism of this platform put me off for awhile. That for any purpose clause is not one I could swear safely on a lie detector that I embrace.

Yet then I thought: but 95-98% of the time I'd be cool with what that means, and--this is critical--95-98% agreement is higher than my current level of agreement with the Libertarian Party platform.

When I look at this year's program, I'm considerably more comfortable:

1. The Boston Tea Party calls for a complete and unconditional withdrawal of US troops from, and a cessation of US military operations against or within, Iraq.

2. The Boston Tea Party supports repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act.

3. The Boston Tea Party calls for an end to the federal prohibition of marijuana and hemp.

4. The Boston Tea Party calls for the immediate repeal of the REAL ID Act and any and all National ID plans.

5. The Boston Tea Party calls for legislation adopting an annual, regularized increase in the personal exemption to the federal income tax of $1,000 or more, and the additional application of said personal exemption to all FICA/Social Security taxes paid by employees and employers.


I can live with all that.

So while I am not severing my ties with the Libertarian Party, and certainly not with the Libertarian Party of Delaware, I have decided to join friends like Jason Gatties and Tom Knapp in taking out a membership in the Boston Tea Party.

I've always wanted to Party Like It's 1773.

Besides, I'm in early enough that if this thing really does take off, I'll have a membership number lower than 350.

Comments

ChrisNC said…
As an endorsed candidate of the Boston Tea Party, I agree, though I'm not really keen on that name. And I honestly wish that Charles Jay were a qualified candidate in North Carolina. I would feel much more comfortable voting for him than I am the LP nominee. Barr has repudiated the rest of the LP ticket. Therefore, I feel free to lend my loyalties elsewhere.
PlanetaryJim said…
Thanks, Steve, and welcome to the party. It's going to be fun, in the tradition of TE Lawrence taking 50 guys across the empty quarter to attack Aqaba from the desert and calling it "fun."

The program you quote is 2006's program. We are to adopt a whole new program at our national convention starting 24 October. The national committee has agreed to place before the members the four points of the Campaign for Liberty that Ron Paul had Nader, McKinney, and Baldwin endorse at his press conference earlier this month. The members are free to choose whatever program they wish.

North Carolina ballot access rules are especially heinous, as anyone in the LP of NC knows full well. I don't know if there are any rules for registering (and identifying electors) write in candidates in NC, but we'd welcome a team for Charles Jay doing just that in any state.
Anonymous said…
Sounds reasonable, but one problem I do have with the group is the name.... How do you self describe if a member?

Boston Tea Partian?

Tea Party Animal?

BTPer?

I mean most of the other parties seem to have a pretty obvious and clear one word name for themselves, "Boston Tea Party Member" seems excessive...
Anonymous said…
I like "Boston Tea Party-goer." If it were 1773, and I lived near Boston, I'd have been there at the docks dumping tea.

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Rescue (?) and child-related gun violence in Delaware

In my post about the idiotic over-reaction to a New Jersey 10-year-old posing with his new squirrel rifle , Dana Garrett left me this response: One waits, apparently in vain, for you to post the annual rates of children who either shoot themselves or someone else with a gun. But then you Libertarians are notoriously ambivalent to and silent about data and facts and would rather talk abstract principles and fear monger (like the government will confiscate your guns). It doesn't require any degree of subtlety to see why you are data and fact adverse. The facts indicate we have a crisis with gun violence and accidents in the USA, and Libertarians offer nothing credible to address it. Lives, even the lives of children, get sacrificed to the fetishism of liberty. That's intellectual cowardice. OK, Dana, let's talk facts. According to the Children's Defense Fund , which is itself only querying the CDCP data base, fewer than 10 children/teens were killed per year in Delaw

With apologies to Hube: dopey WNJ comments of the week

(Well, Hube, at least I'm pulling out Facebook comments and not poaching on your preserve in the Letters.) You will all remember the case this week of the photo of the young man posing with the .22LR squirrel rifle that his Dad got him for his birthday with resulted in Family Services and the local police attempting to search his house.  The story itself is a travesty since neither the father nor the boy had done anything remotely illegal (and check out the picture for how careful the son is being not to have his finger inside the trigger guard when the photo was taken). But the incident is chiefly important for revealing in the Comments Section--within Delaware--the fact that many backers of "common sense gun laws" really do have the elimination of 2nd Amendment rights and eventual outright confiscation of all privately held firearms as their objective: Let's run that by again: Elliot Jacobson says, This instance is not a case of a father bonding with h

The Obligatory Libertarian Tax Day Post

The most disturbing factoid that I learned on Tax Day was that the average American must now spend a full twenty-four hours filling out tax forms. That's three work days. Or, think of it this way: if you had to put in two hours per night after dinner to finish your taxes, that's two weeks (with Sundays off). I saw a talking head economics professor on some Philly TV channel pontificating about how Americans procrastinate. He was laughing. The IRS guy they interviewed actually said, "Tick, tick, tick." You have to wonder if Governor Ruth Ann Minner and her cohorts put in twenty-four hours pondering whether or not to give Kraft Foods $708,000 of our State taxes while demanding that school districts return $8-10 million each?