Skip to main content

Conscription of America's young people is now a Presidential priority

From the Obama Transition Site:

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.


I know there will be people who stand up proudly and say, "There's nothing wrong with requiring our young people to 'give something back' to their community." I will grit my teeth here and not call them idiots. Not call them fascists.

Notice, however, that we're not encouraging young people to service, we're not creating a culture of change, we are requiring young people to provide a certain number of hours of work for the State whether they like it or not, whether their parents approve or not.

This has generally, in history, been called by several different names: corvee labor, tax farming, indentured servitude, serfdom, or slavery.

So when the administration says, "I will call on Americans to sacrifice," does it really mean, "I will use to force of law to require Americans to sacrifice."

The Greatest Generation would be so proud.

Comments

Tacking close to Freeperland, aren't we?
tom said…
And this is just as appropriate now as it was 37 years ago:

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgment of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they were all flown in the last war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

Yeah!

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss...
Brian Shields said…
I can see trading a certain number of community service hours as a way to to qualify for your federally subsidized loan.

..but to require students attending private institutions to work for free because the government says so... that strikes me wrong in many many ways.
cindy25 said…
keep telling everyone about this.

this will be the issue we will take back Congress with in 2010
According to this, the "required" aspect of this has been discreetly removed from the site and it is now "encouraged".

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/president-obama-to-bring-back-slavery

Still and all, the proof will be not in what is spouted on a website, but in the nitty gritty of any legislation that may be introduced.
Anonymous said…
Obama appears to have backed off on the 'required'. I can see enhanced interest in young people in universities that do not require a High School Diploma for admission, which mine did not when I went there. (Indeed, one of my classmates did not have a diploma, because he lacked a required quarter unit of gym class when he left a year early to go to university.) On the other hand, the current mandatory calculus for admission as an undergrad does set a decently stiff academic expectation.

100 hours for a $4000 tax credit is $40 per hour, or $80,000 per year at a traditional per hour working year.
Selock said…
I don't think Obama "backed off the required"...that was proof of nothing but an errant copywriter on a brand new website.

The call to national service has always been one of my favorite parts of the Obama plan - and I have never seen him describe it in speeches or elsewhere as a compulsory proposition. Much more like the military, of course. And with such civil service given a similar level of respect. As well as being similarly highly incentivized and rewarded. What's wrong with that?

I think it's good though, that the website allow us all to monitor for such foibles and voice dissent before it's too late. Nothing's more free than that. This is his whole intention.
Hube said…
The question will be "What KIND of service will be permissible" for all those great Obama admin. giveaways?
Anonymous said…
Hey, why not add mandatory participation in the President's Physical Fitness Challenge? Fat people burn more fossil fuels per mile traveled than do fit people, and their increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, etc. will drive up our (collectivized) health care costs. Come on, fatty, lose ten pounds for "the common good!"

Popular posts from this blog

A Libertarian Martin Luther King Jr. Day post

In which we travel into interesting waters . . . (for a fairly long trip, so be prepared) Dr. King's 1968 book, Where do we go from here:  chaos or community? , is profound in that it criticizes anti-poverty programs for their piecemeal approach, as John Schlosberg of the Center for a Stateless Society  [C4SS] observes: King noted that the antipoverty programs of the time “proceeded from a premise that poverty is a consequence of multiple evils,” with separate programs each dedicated to individual issues such as education and housing. Though in his view “none of these remedies in itself is unsound,” they “all have a fatal disadvantage” of being “piecemeal,” with their implementation having “fluctuated at the whims of legislative bodies” or been “entangled in bureaucratic stalling.”   The result is that “fragmentary and spasmodic reforms have failed to reach down to the profoundest needs of the poor.” Such single-issue approaches also have “another common failing — ...

Libertarian National Committee Deathwatch Part 1

As the LNC continues to lurch towards collapse, with the latest news of mass layoffs at HQ, I've decided to begin tracking those things leading the national party to irrelevance, even as state and local parties gain power. As news, rumors and rhetoric break out, I shall chronicle them in this ongoing series at Delaware Libertarian. Organizations approaching failure have a number of characteristics. One of the most striking is renunciation of their purpose and effort to reinvent themselves as a "me-too" provider of services in the marketplace. In this, the LNC has been on a collision course with destiny for a while now. Recently, for example, it hired Republican Party web site developer TerraEclipse to redesign the LNC web site . Terra created a web site very similar to those of the clients it brags most about -- far-right Republican conservatives like Tom McClintock and BJ Lawson. A quick look at the web site they built for the LNC is instructive. The tagline on the ...

The disturbing decline of the Delaware blogosphere: a very unfortunate Around the Horn (even if it's not Friday)

I've noticed a change in my own blog-checking habits over the past several weeks, and I don't know if it's just me or the reality of the last month of a divisive political campaign. I automatically used to check out Delawareliberal first and several times a day, because it was where I could find edgy, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) funny banter going on. These days visit several other spots first, and my visits to DL are both shorter and less engaged. Why? Because the combination of invading neo-con commenters with the stridency of some of the major contributors has led to such pleasant exchanges as a post dedicated to labeling another blogger racist by donviti, whose own sense of provocative humor is generally so far out there that he makes John Belushi doing Samurai bartender on the SNL look positively pro-Asian. Or I can find Delawaredem and jason periodically spewing the idea that anybody who is not a liberal or progressive Democrat is somehow a non-American,...