Eat the children.
OK, now that I've gotten that out of my system, here goes:
1. Public election of State Board of Education members to occur concurrently with existing school board elections in May. State Board electoral districts to based on school-age population, and candidates must live within the districts they represent. No at-large voting. Non-partisan elections. No employee of a school or school district within the SB electoral district, or employee of any company or corporation with a direct contractual, financial interest in school operations to be eligible for service on the State Board of Education. Four-year terms.
2. Remove the position of Secretary of Education from the cabinet and restore the State Superintendent of Public Education. State Superintendent to be selected by, and serve at the pleasure of, the State Board of Education. The State Board of Education to approve all employment contracts within the Delaware Department of Education.
3. Local School Boards to have the right of direct appeal of any adverse ruling by DE DOE to the State Board of Education.
4. DE DOE to be converted into an agency that is primarily concerned with assisting school districts in compliance with Federal regulations and State laws. DOE to be limited by statute to expending no more than 10% of any Federal funding for public education to cover administrative expenses.
5. The Neighborhood Schools Act to be repealed.
6. DCAS or other standardized tests to be limited for use in statistical data collection, and not to overturn local decisions on student performance, graduation, or promotion
7. Local School Boards to become the primary authorizing mechanism for charter schools.
We've tried top-down and it didn't work.
Time to try bottom up.